25 Questions To Ask Any Roofing Contractor
Make Sure Your Roofer Is Prepared For Your Roofing Job With These 25 Questions.
In any decision that concerns your home, you want to be sure that you’ve thoroughly considered your options. When it comes to roofing contractors, the more time you take to interview them and get a sense of their qualifications, the better. Make sure that their answers are backed up by their experience, too. Today, let’s break down some of the most important questions you’ll want to ask any roofer who offers to work on your home.
Why Experience Matters
Certainly, you might get lucky with a new roofer who happens to be very skilled, and you might even be able to save money that way, as they’ll be just starting out in the business. However, experience speaks to credibility. If a roofing company has over 85 years of experience — as is the case with Jancewicz & Son, you have a massive body of work to reference, and years of customer experiences to review. These can tell you as much about the company as any answers to their questions.
Licensed, Bonded, and Insured
In contracting, you often hear the term “licensed, bonded, and insured.” A license is required to work on your home in just about every state. Insurance is not required, but it does provide that you won’t be held liable should something go wrong on the project. If a project is bonded, that means that a third party has money held in escrow to reimburse you should the contractor not be able to complete the job to your satisfaction.
With these two points made, let’s dive into the questions:
25 Questions to Ask Any Roofing Contractor
- How many years of experience do you have?
- Is your business local? How local?
- How long have the current owners of your business owned it?
- Do you have the proper licensing to perform the relevant roofing work on my home?
- Are you insured, and what kind of insurance do you have? Do you have workman’s comp?
- Is your company bonded?
- Do you have any references or testimonials that I can review in making a decision?
- Do you have any jobs that I can see for myself?
- Do you use subcontractors, or do you have your own team?
- How long have you worked with your current subcontractors/team?
- Can I see a current project that your subcontractors/team are working on, so as to see them in action?
- Is your team fully trained, background tested and drug tested?
- When will you be able to schedule my roofing installation?
- How long will the project take?
- What will you do in the event of inclement weather?
- Do you need to come to my home to create an estimate for the project?
- Do you provide a written estimate, including a breakdown?
- Who can I contact about the status of the installation? Will they be on site?
- Does your estimate for the roofing installation include the removal of my old roof?
- Is roof flashing/drip edge metal installation included?
- If rotten wood is found underneath the roof, how will that affect the roofing estimate?
- What steps do you take to protect my home (lawn, siding, driveway, etc.) while you work?
- What steps do you take to protect roof gutters when installing the roof?
- Do you perform a thorough cleanup each day, especially around doorways?
- Does your roofing work come with a warranty? What kind of warranty is it? (Make sure to read the fine print carefully here, as some “lifetime warranties” don’t actually last a lifetime.)
At Jancewicz & Son, we’re happy to answer any questions you may need to ask in order to feel confident in choosing us for your roofing project. To get started, contact us today and tell us about your roofing project.