Which Roof Style Is Right For Your Home
Discover The Right Roofing Style For Your
Woodstock, VT, Home
Your Woodstock, VT, home’s roof is one of the most critical aspects of its overall design and structure. Without proper protection, the elements can cause severe issues like water damage, pest infestation, and even collapses.
Finding the right roofing style for your property can be daunting since various options are available, each with specific advantages and disadvantages.
From traditional asphalt shingles to modern metal roofing, the suitable roofing material can make a big difference in your home’s look, feel, and safety.
In this article, we’ll explore the different roofing styles available and discuss the factors you should consider when deciding which one is best for your home!
Metal tile roofing is a system made from interlocking tiles, usually manufactured with aluminum or steel. Contractors often apply this material to residential and commercial buildings, as it is cost-saving and a great alternative to traditional roofing systems.
Roofing professionals install these tiles over a solid plywood base and fasten the panels together with nails or screws. They then lay the material in an overlapping pattern, finishing the application with a waterproof sealant to protect the home from moisture.
The Advantages Of Metal Tiles
Many Windsor County residents prefer this metal tile roofing for the following reasons:
- Durability: Metal tile roofing is highly durable, lasting up to 50 years or more with proper maintenance.
- Low Maintenance: Metal tile roofing requires very little upkeep, with the exception of occasional cleaning and inspections.
- Fire-Resistant: Metal tile roofing is highly fire-resistant, offering the homeowner peace of mind.
- Lightweight: Compared to other types of roofing, metal tile roofing is incredibly light and easy to install, which helps to prevent collapses and structural damage.
- Energy Efficient: This roofing is highly energy efficient, helping to keep your home cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.
- Environmentally Friendly: Metal tile roofing is made of recycled materials, creating an eco-friendly solution.
- Aesthetics: Metal tile roofing is available in various colors and styles and often has a visually appealing finish that attracts attention in all the right ways!
The Disadvantages Of Metal Tile Roofing
While metal tile roofing has many benefits, there are also some downsides. These disadvantages include the following:
- Expense: Metal tile roofing is generally more expensive than other roofing materials.
- Installation: Installation of metal tile roofing can be difficult and time-consuming
- Noise: Metal tile roofing can be noisy during storms and high winds, which some Woodstock, VT, homeowners do not enjoy.
This roofing system involves individual overlapping asphalt shingles, usually in flat rectangular shapes. This is the most traditional style of roofing and the most common one used for residential and commercial applications.
The installation process for asphalt shingles typically begins with a layer of felt paper laid over the existing roof deck and then nailed in place securely.
This paper provides a barrier between the existing deck and the new shingles, preventing moisture from seeping in and reducing the chances of water damage inside the home.
The roofing contractors then lay the shingles in a staggered pattern, with each row overlapping the one below it, allowing the material to fit snugly together and resist wind and rain.
Finally, they install flashing around the perimeter and any penetrations or protrusions like chimneys. This extra step helps to keep water out of vulnerable areas and prevent it from seeping into the home’s interior, causing flooding and mold growth.
The Advantages Of Asphalt Shingles
This roofing system is the most popular option among Windsor County homeowners for a few specific reasons:
- Cost-Effective: Asphalt shingle roofing is one of the most cost-effective materials available, saving you lots of money.
- Durability: This material is highly durable and is incredibly resistant to the intense weather conditions of the East Coast, offering peace of mind.
- Low Maintenance: Asphalt shingles require minimal maintenance and can be easily repaired or replaced.
- Easy Installation: Asphalt shingles are lightweight and easy to install, which takes a few days at most.
- Versatile: Asphalt shingles come in various styles, colors, and textures to suit any home’s aesthetic.
- Fire Resistant: Asphalt shingles are fire-resistant and can offer additional protection against fire damage in natural or internal disasters.
The Disadvantages Of Asphalt Shingles
As with any roofing style, it’s not all sunshine and rainbows. There are a few negative aspects to asphalt shingles, such as:
- Short Lifespan: Asphalt shingle roofing has a shorter lifespan than other roofing materials, typically lasting 15 to 30 years.
- Prone to Algae Growth: Asphalt shingles are prone to the growth of algae, which can discolor the roof and increase the chance of water damage.
Standing Seam Metal Roofing
Lastly, a standing seam metal roof is an increasingly common option for residents of Woodstock, VT.
This roofing system consists of metal panels running vertically from the eaves to the roof’s ridge, creating added protection from storms and moisture.
Contractors attach the metal tiles to the roof deck with fasteners concealed by raised seams, giving the roof a unique look that often draws the attention of neighbors.
For this kind of metal roofing, the installation process typically begins with removing existing roofing material, followed by installing a metal roof deck, which acts as a panel base.
The roofing contractor then attaches the panels to the roof deck with metal clips and screws. The crew finishes the process with a water-tight sealant to prevent mold growth and other severe moisture-induced issues.
This application process may also include adding a snow guard system or metal flashing to help protect the roof from water damage.
The Advantages Of A Standing Seam Metal Roof
While each of these systems is an excellent option for different factors, homeowners are growing fond of standing seam metal roofing for these reasons:
- Durability: Like metal tiles, this roofing system is super durable and can withstand extreme weather conditions.
- Low Maintenance: Standing seam metal roofing is low maintenance and requires little upkeep, making it the perfect option for busy homeowners who want to save on repair costs.
- Energy Efficiency: These metal panels are highly reflective and can help to keep your home cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter, reducing your utility bills.
- Versatility: Standing seam metal roofing comes in various colors and styles, allowing you to customize your roof to match the exterior of your home.
- Long Lifespan: Standing seam metal roofing can last up to 50 years, making it an investment that will pay off in the long term.
The Disadvantages Of A Standing Seam Metal Roof
No roofing material is perfect, so it only makes sense that the standing seam system has a few flaws. These imperfections include:
- Cost: These metal panels are usually more expensive than other roofing materials.
- Installation: Installing a standing seam metal roof requires specialized skills and techniques, so it is best to hire a professional roofer.
- Weight: Standing seam metal roofs are heavier than other roofing materials and require extra support and bracing.
- Noise: Standing seam metal roofs can be noisy when it rains or when exposed to strong wind.
The Best Woodstock, VT, Roofing Company To Help You
Install A Perfect System For Your Home
At Jancewicz & Son, our highly-experienced, licensed roofing professionals can help you choose the perfect system for your home.
We have a customer-centric process that prioritizes your satisfaction, and our crew won’t stop until you love your results!
Contact us or call us today at 1-800-281-3585, and we’ll ensure your home is safe from the elements and stunning to look at!